Dolly Purcell then located Edward, his wife Ann, and family in the 1850 US Census and the 1855 New York State Census.
1850 US Census, Johnstown, Fulton County, New York
Edward McIntire, male; age 40; birthplace Ireland; Occupation: Laborer; cannot read/write
Ann McIntire, female; age 40; birthplace Ireland; no occupation; Implies can read/write
Catherine McIntire, female; age 9; birthplace England; does not say attending school
Mary McIntire, female, age 14; birthplace England; does not say attending school
Source: 1850 US Census, Johnstown, Fulton, New York; Roll: 506; Page 80B. National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, Accessed on Ancestry.com June, 2020 by Dolly Purcell.
1855 New York State Census, Johnstown, Fulton County, New York
Edward McIntire, age 53; male; Head; born in Ireland; married; number of years resident in the city: 7; profession: farmer; naturalized alien, owns land
Ann McIntire, age 52; female; wife; born in Ireland; married; number of years in the city: 7; alien
Catherine McIntire, age 14; female; child; born in England; number of years in the city: 7; alien
Source: 1855 Census of the State of New York, microfilm. Accessed on Ancestry.com
- Why were the girls born in England. Did Edward leave Ireland before 1835?
- Most likely Mary, who would be about 20 in 1855, is married as she does not appear on the 1855 New York Census
- Could Mary bc1835 be the Mary McGlauhin noted in the Patrick McIntyre Inquiry, 1863?
- On Edward's Naturalization Papers he said he came to the US c1842. If he lived in Johnstown for seven years in 1855, where in the US was he and his family between 1842 and 1848?
- Edward states he owns land. There might be land papers for him in New York state,
- How did he get from a farm in Johnstown, NY to San Francisco, CA and why?
- Mary bc1835 and Catherine bc1841 should be siblings of Patrick bc1831.